Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Lessons about Life and Baseball

“Life is not fair.”
Conan O’ Brien (among others possibly but don’t you just love Coco?)

You know what else is not fair? Baseball. That is the lesson I have learned this week. Now, I’m under no illusions or false pretenses that this life is some kind of perfect meritocracy. There will always be people who get opportunities whether they deserve them or not because they have the right last name or wear the right clothes or know the right people or get signed in the first round. But sometimes it’s hard to just accept that as truth. Some sense of justice cries within us that things MUST be fair. If we work hard, we SHOULD be rewarded (and amply). No one seems to be listening.

Nik called me last night to tell me that one of his good friends on the team (and one of my favorites) was being sent down to a lower team and he would be leaving in less than 24 hours. Brutal! And the thing is, he was doing just fine. Not getting too many innings but doing pretty well with what he was given. AND he got knocked out of his spot by-- okay, I considered being mean just then, but I’m trying to give that up so-- someone who is not doing as well. BIG bummer.

Other events have taken place recently that factor into my declaration that baseball is unfair. But in the interest of propriety and not making very unneeded enemies of the Yankee higher-ups, I will hold my tongue (not easy friends). As I mulled over the unfairness of it all, I started to think about how fortunate Nik and I are. I mean the guy plays a game…for his job! It’s not easy and it’s definitely not glamorous but he’s doing what he loves (as his dear fiancé toils away like a slave laborer, mind you). He’s living the life of so many little league dreams. Few people ever get the chance to be under the bright lights, to strike out seven batters in five innings and walk none (braggart? me? Never… shame on you) while thousands of people watch and cheer. So, I guess life (and baseball) are unfair. But I’ve also realized that that unfairness often works for our good and manifests itself in the amazing opportunities we take for granted.


This is Conan saying life is not fair (at Dartmouth Commencement if you must know).

No comments:

Post a Comment