Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Famous Fiancés

Nik pitched in his first Florida State League game this past weekend and had a solid (13 people!) fan section for his opening day. As we separated from his parents (who were visiting) after the game, his mom said “Good job Nik,” or something like unto it. There was a family walking by and when she said his name this man’s eyes just got so big! He completely lit up. He said, “Are you Nik Turley?” and proceeded to recruit his four children to take a picture with Nik, explaining to each as he called them that this was Nik Turley and that he pitched in the game tonight. I got handed the keys and the phone and the wallet. Typical. But do you know I never felt even a little bit slighted. I was so proud to see those strangers excited to take a picture with MY fiancé. It was amazing. My almost husband has fans. Fans! I just smiled and smiled. I’m sure there will come a point when I feel overlooked and underappreciated in comparison to a big time pro baseball player but right now I’m soaking it all in. Getting to watch him be recognized and admired is just another gift the baseball gods have given me to keep up morale during this long, difficult journey.

P.S. Sorry these last two posts have been so mushy! I guess I’m getting more tender-hearted in my old age. But I’m fairly confident the snark’s not going down without a fight so no worries.

No comments:

Post a Comment