Friday, July 1, 2011

100 Days

Flashback: When I was in first grade, we had a celebration to mark the 100th day of school. All of the first graders were to come to class dressed as if they were 100 years old. I was so excited. I loved dressing up (still do!) and being an old person was going to be the best. I planned on turning my hair gray with baby powder and having an awesome costume. Well, when the big day came around I completely forgot. I came to school to find all of my friends looking like miniature geriatrics. I was crushed but, being an optimistic child, I decided to put on my big coat and hunch over and try to get in the spirit of the thing. When what should happen but one of my teachers walked by and said I hope you realize that that jacket doesn’t make you look old; everyone can tell you forgot to dress up. Kick a girl when she’s down, why don’t you. As I stood in line, on the brink of tears, I thought worst 100 days celebration ever.

Flash forward (great show—you remember it? Tuck and Becca anyone?): Today, very unlike that day over 15 years ago, is the greatest 100 days celebration ever. Because guess who gets married in 100 days? It’s me. I get married in 100 days. Now I don’t want to gush because I kind of find it irritating but will you let me have this moment of sheer girly exhilaration and excitement? Me+Nik=married forever in 100 days. If that just doesn’t put the biggest smile on your face and bring the greatest joy to your soul, you are the Grinch and your heart is three (two?) sizes too small. But no matter. You could not rain on my Getting Married in 100 Days Parade even if you tried. And do you know why? Because I’m getting married in 100 days to, first of all, the best looking guy in baseball (you can argue but there’s no point-‘tis a fact) who also happens to be funny and strange (in a good way) and caring and kind and creative and loyal and, above all, my very best friend. So here’s to 100 days! Now, the real countdown begins.

2 comments:

  1. And you forgot the second most important point- 99 days until you get to see me. Because really, this whole wedding thing is about me. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited someone else remembers flash foward! They glamorized the can telephone between houses, which I think is about ready to come back. Happy 100 days!

    ReplyDelete