Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Great Hot Water Drought of 2012

It all started Thursday night. My poor husband, not unused to random screaming from myself, was treated to a “there’s a flying roach in my room/I’m being attacked by a big, scary man (pretty sure it would be the same level of screaming for both events)” decibel yell when the water hit my leg.

I asked him to call the apartment complex. He got on the phone, paused, looked at me and asked if it was an emergency. Ummm yeah! We have no hot water. What part of that is NOT an emergency?

Fast forward to Friday when I get home and realize that we still have no hot water. I call again and am told that the maintenance people are “busy.” Woooowww. I’m busy too—busy stinking because I CAN’T TAKE A SHOWER!!! No one shows up that day either, and I’m a little bit testy when I call (for the third time) the next day.

So I tell Nik, prepare to be frightened, I am gonna let whoever answers the phone have it. To which Nik he nods while giving me a look like he knows what’s really going to happen. Because, here’s the thing, I don’t particularly enjoy being mean to people whether they deserve it or not. One of my most used, least acted upon phrases is “I am going to make a scene.” This never happens, but Nik is wise enough to not invite himself to partake in the wrath of the hot water-less crazy girl stomping around the living room.

So I call and when this sweet, young girl answers I say sort of sternly that they need to send someone from maintenance NOW. I then explain the situation and use the word NOW again to further make my point. She asks me to hold and comes back with the number for the maintenance man who shows up and tells us that we need a part, but, you see, the part people are only open Monday-Friday so no hot water until Monday afternoon.

Well, Nik braved the elements and had himself a little polar bear dip Sunday. I was half asleep, half awake for this little adventure but did manage to notice that he was in there for a very long time considering the temperatures. Come to find out, he had spent about 45 seconds in the shower and the rest of the time mentally preparing for it.

(My parents were out of town so I showered there Saturday and Sunday-- just so you don’t think I’m completely disgusting.)

Anyway, the guy came back Monday afternoon with our part and voila! We have hot water again. Woo! And so concluded the Great Hot Water Drought of 2012.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds misrerable. Seriously. I need warm showers in the morning. It's crazy that it took them so long.

    ReplyDelete